Sunday, April 4, 2010

Beach Reading

ahhh Spring Break! I'm in Hobe Sound, FL, visiting my Mom and Dad's house on the golf course, which is just 5 minutes from the beach....ahhhhh. I brought my 3-yr-old Emily and we trucked down for 11 hours to get here. I worked very hard to be able to take this break and am planning on setting the gold standard for relaxation while here. :)

I've decided to pick up and read a book for the first time in a long time. The one I've had my eye on is Diane Ravitch's The Death and Life of the Great American Education System. I grabbed it today and started reading.

Today was the first of a weeklong series of "3 beer reading sessions." Basically, I take a book, a funny looking beach hat, a highliter, a pencil, a bag of Frito's, and 3 beers. Then I read, take notes, jot down ideas/analysis, then by the time I'm done with the 3rd beer I head home. It's one of the most relaxing and thought provoking things I can think of. I never thought I'd be a nerd like this- to relax I grab a book and take notes, but it works for me...

Anyway, I've decided to jot my thoughts and reactions down into this blog space to log my scratchy notes somewhere. If it helps someone else to read and react to this book, all the better. If it serves as a reference point for some future writing, that's all good too. If no one reads it, that's totally fine too!

Anyway, I'm off to create the first of several posts about it. Hopefully anyone that is reading finds some value on what could be a very important book for us education nerds.

No comments: