Monday, March 1, 2010

Targeting Multiple Intelligences with Technology


I'm a big fan of Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences. I know there is some recent research out there that is questioning the theory, and this is a good thing. But as a teacher, the theory makes sense of the children we see every day. I think this is exactly why this theory connects so well in education circles (this was never the intended audience for Gardner and his work when it began, but quickly grew in that direction as educators latched onto his ideas).

Just a few examples from my own experience that illustrate the many students that this connects with for me, personally:
-Seth, a kid that could barely read and wasn't interested in school at all...until you started talking about animals, nature, plants, hunting, tracking, etc. Total Nature learner that helped me unlock some of his other areas of need
-Cody, another kid that had a lot of trouble reading, writing, speaking, and with math as well. But this 2nd grader could take a lawn mower apart and put it back together again. We started using this kinesthetic expertise by letting him build words, phrases, and sentences in similar ways with manipulatives.
-The totally shy Ashley who was very much intrapersonal- would record her thoughts eloquently and worked well by herself, putting things together. Used screencasting to become an expert and allow herself to help others without needing to stand up and present...

There are many more out there from not just myself but educators all over the place!

The reason this pops into my head this morning is because I'm giving a session tomorrow on targeting student intelligences with technology. This is a real passion of mine, so I thought I'd share the handout/ideas I've used before and will be presenting tomorrow:


Hope these ideas help your students!

1 comment:

Hadley said...

I too like Gardner, not because he has it perfectly organized, but because he reminds me that no two kids are alike, that every lesson needs variety in how it is presented and in how I want the students to show their learning. It keeps me from doing the same thing over and over; so the specifics may change, but the goal of reaching each kid will stay the same.